Thursday 30 April 2020

ZERO CONDITIONAL


30 April 2020
Hi! My dear learners!
Hope you would have enjoyed the lesson on’ COVID 19 -VOCABULARY’ and answered the quiz that followed.
Are you not eager to check the answers?
Please go to the following web address to know the correct answers

Today, I post the last part of conditionals, ZERO CONDITIONALS, WITH A MINI QUIZ.
Learn and understand the lesson. Revise all the previous lessons posted on conditionals
Tomorrow you will have to take a quiz on all conditionals, namely, first conditional, second conditional, third conditional and the zero conditional.

Have a pleasant day

HOD/ English

Zero Conditional
for certainty
If you heat ice, it melts.

We use the so-called zero conditional when the result of the condition is always true, like a scientific fact.
Take some ice. Put it in a saucepan. Heat the saucepan. What happens? The ice melts (it becomes water). You would be surprised if it did not.
if
condition
result

Present Simple
Present Simple
If
you heat ice,
it melts.

Notice that we are thinking about a result that is always true for this condition. The result of the condition is an absolute certainty. We are not thinking about the future or the past, or even the present. We are thinking about a simple fact. We use the Present Simple tense to talk about the condition. We also use the Present Simple tense to talk about the result. The important thing about the zero conditional is that the condition always has the same result
.


Look at these example sentences:
if
condition
result

Present Simple
Present Simple
If
I miss the 8 o'clock bus,
I am late for work.
If
I am late for work,
my boss gets angry.
If
people don't eat,
they get hungry.
If
you heat ice,
does it melt?





result
if
condition
Present Simple

Present Simple
I am late for work
if
I miss the 8 o'clock bus.
My boss gets angry
if
I am late for work.
People get hungry
if
they don't eat.
Does ice melt
if
you heat it?
We often use when instead of if, for example: When I get up late, I miss my bus.

Mini Quiz

1. The zero conditional is used when the result of the condition is
            no longer true
            still possible
            always true
2. "If you _______ water for a long time, it boils." Which is correct?
            Heat
            Heated
            Had heated
3. "We get tired when we _______ get enough sleep." Which is correct?
            Won’t
            Don’t
            Haven’t

No comments:

Post a Comment