Wednesday 22 April 2020

IF CONDITIONALS PART 1


22 April 2020
Dear students
I am happy to meet you again today, through my blog.
Today I have the pleasure to introduce you a new topic, If conditionals.
This lesson may stretch to more than one part.
The first part is being published today.
The remaining parts will be uploaded in the remaining days to come.
Please read the lesson attentively and you are free to post your doubts  in the comments box


CONDITIONALS
IF CLAUSE,
+
MAIN CLAUSE
CONDITION
+
RESULT
If I see her,
+
I will tell her.

MAIN CLAUSE
+
IF CLAUSE
RESULT
+
CONDITION
I will tell he
+
If I see her.
There are several structures in English that we call conditionals or if conditionals. The word "condition" means "situation or circumstance". If a particular condition is true, then a particular result happens:
  • if y = 3 then 2y = 6
There are three Basic English conditionals plus the so-called zero conditional.
conditional type
usage
 Tense in)if-clause
(Tense in) main-clause
1
possible condition + probable result
present simple
will + base verb
2
hypothetical condition + possible result
past simple
would + base verb
3
expired past condition + possible past result
past perfect
would have + past participle
0
real condition + inevitable result
present simple
present simple
Structure of Conditional Sentences
The structure of most conditionals is very simple. There are two basic possibilities.
Of course, we add many words and can use various tenses, but the basic structure is usually like this:


If
condition
result
If
Y=10
2y=20
Or like this:
result
if
condition
2y=20
if
Y=10
This structure can produce, for example, the following sentences:
  • If I see her, I will tell her.
  • I will tell her if I see her.
Notice the comma in the first sentence
When a sentence is begun with ‘if clause’, we insert comma, immediately after the ‘if clause.
We don’t do so. if the sentence begins with the main clause.

First Conditional
for real possibility ( open or real condition)
If I win the lottery, I will buy a car.
We are talking about the future. We are thinking about a particular condition or situation in the future, and the result of this condition. There is a real possibility that this condition will happen. For example, it is morning. You are at home. You plan to play tennis this afternoon. But there are some clouds in the sky. Imagine that it rains. What will you do?

If
condition
result

Present simple
Will + base verb
If
It rains,
I will stay at home

 

 

Second Conditional

for unreal possibility   ( unreal or hypothetical condition)
If I won the lottery, I would buy a car.
The second conditional is like the first conditional. We are still thinking about the future. We are thinking about a particular condition in the future, and the result of this condition. But there is not a real possibility that this condition will happen. For example, you do not have a lottery ticket. Is it possible to win? No! No lottery ticket, no win! But maybe you will buy a lottery ticket in the future. So you can think about winning in the future, like a dream. It's not very real, but it's still possible.
If
condition
result

past simple
would + base verb
If
If
It rained,
I won the lottery,
I would stay at home
I would buy a car.

Third Conditional

for no possibility (  Impossible condition)
If I had won the lottery, I would have bought a car.
he first conditional and second conditionals talk about the future. With the third conditional we talk about the past. We talk about a condition in the past that did not happen. That is why there is no possibility for this condition. The third conditional is also like a dream, but with no possibility of the dream coming true.
Last week you bought a lottery ticket. But you did not win. :-(


If
condition
result

past perfect
would have+ past participle
If

I had won the lottery,
I would have won the car.

Zero Conditional
for certainty
If you heat ice, it melts
We use the so-called zero conditional when the result of the condition is always true, like a scientific fact.
Take some ice. Put it in a saucepan. Heat the saucepan. What happens? The ice melts (it becomes water). You would be surprised if it did not.
If
condition
result

Present simple
Present simple
If

You heat ice,
It melts

Summary of Conditionals

Here is a table to help you to visualize the basic conditionals.
Do not take the 50% and 10% too literally. They are just to help you.
probability
conditional
example
time
100%

zero
If you heat ice, it melts
any
50%

first
If I win the lottery, I will  buy a car.
future
10%

second
If I won the lottery, I would buy a car
future
0%

third
If I had won the lottery, I would have bought a car
past



5 comments:

  1. Its easy to understand for the beginers.It has been explained step by step process.Good attempt sir...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very useful content sir... Easily understandable. Thank you for this wonderful iniative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. teknisk analys program

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. teknisk analys

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. teknisk analys

    ReplyDelete