Monday 27 April 2020

SECOND CONDITIONAL


27 APRIL 2020
MONDAY
DEAR STUDENTS
Hope all of you are safe and secured from covid 19.
Today i have uploaded the lesson on second conditional.
Go through the lesson and try answering the quiz by yourself.
You can check your answers along with the next lesson.
Second Conditional
for unreal possibility
If I won the lottery, I would buy a car.
The second conditional is like the first conditional. We are still thinking about the future. We are thinking about a particular condition in the future, and the result of this condition. But there is not a real possibility that this condition will happen. For example, you do not have a lottery ticket. Is it possible to win? No! No lottery ticket, no win! But maybe you will buy a lottery ticket in the future. So you can think about winning in the future, like a dream. It's not very real, but it's still possible.
If
condition
result

Past simple
would+ base verb
If
I won the lottery,
I would buy a car.
Notice that we are thinking about a future condition. We use the Past Simple tense to talk about the future condition. We use would + base verb to talk about the future result. The important thing about the second conditional is that there is an unreal possibility that the condition will happen.
Look at these example sentences:
If
Condition

result

Past simple

Would + base verb
If
I married Mary,
I would be happy.
If
Ram became rich,
she would marry him.
If
it snowed next July,
would you be surprised?
If
it snowed next July,
what would you do?
If
I became rich,
I would help her.
If
I were a bird,
I would fly
If
I were the education minister,
I would abolish grammar teaching

Result

if
condition
Would+ base verb


Past simple
I would be happy
if
I married Mary.
She would marry Ram
if
he became rich.
Would you be surprised
if
it snowed next July?
What would you do
if
it snowed next July?
I would help her
if
I became rich
I would fly
if
I were a bird
I would abolish grammar teaching
if
I were  the education minister
Sometimes, we use shouldcould or might instead of would, for example: If I won a million dollars, could stop working
Mini quiz:
1. The second conditional is used if there is _______ that the condition will happen.
                no possibility        little real possibility            a real possibility 

2. "If we _______ free, we'd go with you." Which is correct?

                Were      are          had been
               
3. "If Justin _______ me to marry him, I'd say yes." Which makes this a correct second conditional sentence?
                Asks        asked      had asked
               

No comments:

Post a Comment