Tuesday 27 April 2021

WRITING CHECK LISTS

 

PARK COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY

DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH

HS8251 TECHNICAL ENGLISH

CHECKLIST

What is a checklist?

A checklist is a list of items that people use to make sure that everything is in order before any activity is taken up.

A checklist is a list of things that one must remember to do. It adds one’s memory and ensures that what you need to do is done without omission.

The purpose of a checklist is to ensure that everything is properly done before any important activity.

How to write a checklist?

In writing a checklist, interrogative form is used. After each question, boxes for yes or no are placed.

Begin the questions with the auxiliaries such as is, are, do, does, and has/have

Put a tick mark in the ‘yes’ box when the item in question is made complete

 

CHECKLIST FOR WRITING A CHECKLIST                       YES  NO

1.     Have I given a suitable title for the checklist        ?                            

 

2.     Have I used the interrogative form for writing the checklist?   

 

3.     Have I provided yes/no boxes for each question?

 

4.     Have I ticked the yes box in every list?

 

5.     Have I inserted the question mark at the end of each interrogative statement?

 

6.     Have I begun each question either with ‘do’ verb or with ‘have’ verb or with ‘be’ verb?

 

7.     Have I numbered my checklist items?

 

8.     Have I checked whether all the points are brought out in the checklist?

 

         

EXAMPLE 1

Write down a checklist containing at least eight items to avert fire accidents in public functions conducted in   temporary structures.

Checklist for the safety of temporary structure.

 

 

YES

NO

01

Have I kept fire extinguishers ready?

 

02

Have I instructed the inmates not to burn anything inside the structure?

 

03

Have I checked the stability of the structure?

 

04

Have I checked the electrical connections?

 

05

Have I displayed ‘No smoking’ boards inside the structure?

 

06

Have I arranged for fire-engines to stand nearby?

 

07

Have I stored enough water to put out fire in the time of emergency?

 

08

Have I checked all other safety arrangements?

 

 

Example 2:

Imagine that you have to attend an interview in a core/ software company in Delhi. Make eight- item checklist with a proper title.

Check list for attending an interview

 

 

YES

NO

01

Have I booked the ticket?

 

02

Have I taken all the certificates and testimonials?

 

03

Do I have the call letter with me?

 

04

Are all my certificates properly arranged for an easy reference?

 

05

Do I have a set of formal dress neatly packed?

 

06

Have I taken my project report with me?

 

07

Do I have enough money?

 

08

Have I taken my mobile and other items that are required for my travel?

 

 

Example 3

You are going to travel long distance by car. Help yourself with a checklist so that your journey is trouble free and comfortable.

Checklist for a long-distance travel in a car

 

 

YES

NO

01

Is there water in the radiator?

 

02

Is there enough petrol/diesel incar? the

 

03

Are the brakes in good condition?

 

04

Are the tyres properly inflated?

 

05

Do the wipers function properly?

 

06

Is the battery in good condition?

 

07

Do the headlights and other lights function properly?

 

08

Have I inflated the reserve- tyre?

 

 

Example 4:

Imagine that you are the student- secretary of English-club association. You have to organize the inaugural function of the association, Prepare a checklist of 8 items for the successful conduct of the function.

Checklist for conducting the inaugural function of the English club association.

 

 

YES

NO

01

Have I decorated the auditorium?

 

02

Are the banners and posters displayed properly?

 

03

Have I assigned students to receive the chief guest?

 

04

Have I made the seating arrangement on the dais?

 

05

Have I checked the functioning of the  PA system?

 

06

Have I prepared the order of events?

 

07

Are the student- volunteers informed of their duties?

 

08

Have I kept water bottles on the stage?

 

 

 

ASSIGNMENT

1. Prepare an eight item checklist for organizing a conference.

2. Write a checklist of at least eight- items to conduct the Anna university examination in your college.

3. Prepare a checklist for conducting sports day in your college.

4. Prepare an eight-item checklist to organize the Independence day celebrations in your college.

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Go to webroot.com/safe to activate Webroot antivirus. To activate the webroot setup downloaded to your computer, you can also visit Webroot.com/safe Enter the unique activation code for webroot to protect your data against multiple viruses and threats with a single scan.

    Trend Micro antivirus provides 100% top-quality security solutions for the digital age. Trend Micro antivirus offers both online and offline threat protection for your internet-connected devices. You can install Trend Micro antivirus via www.trendmicro.com/bestbuypc without any hassle.

    Access to Microsoft Office accounts can be accessed easily by the user. If a user does not have an Office account, they can create one by visiting this page. Users who have an Office account can click directly on the sign-in button to gain instant access. office Setup 365

    ReplyDelete
  2. The process of installing avg antivirus is simple. To do this, the user must visit www.avg.com/activate. The activation code can be entered at this location. If you do not have an account or login, create one.

    The Mcafee antivirus automatically blocks malware and infections from going into the gadget. You can ensure your gadget by downloading, introducing and activating the McAfee setup from the connection Mcafee.com/activate. The retail card which you will get in the wake of buying the Mcafee setup will assistance you with activating the MacAfee item.

    Webroot Antivirus and Internet Security are the best antivirus programs available. They will keep your computer 100% secure and protected. We can help you with Webroot.com/safe activation and installation.

    ReplyDelete