Saturday, 9 February 2019

Checklist


PARK COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
HS8251 TECHNICAL ENGLISH
CHECKLIST
What is a checklist?
A checklist is a list of items that people use to make sure that everything is in order before any activity is taken up.
A checklist is a list of things that one must remember to do. It adds one’s memory and ensures that what you need to do is done without omission.
The purpose of a checklist is to ensure that everything is properly done before any important activity.
How to write a checklist?
In writing a checklist, interrogative form is used. After each question, boxes for yes or no are placed.
Begin the questions with the auxiliaries such as is, are, do, does, and has/have
Put a tick mark in the ‘yes’ box when the item in question is made complete
 
CHECKLIST FOR WRITING A CHECKLIST                       YES  NO
1.     Have I given a suitable title for the checklist        ?                            
√

2.     Have I used the interrogative form for writing the checklist?   
√

3.     Have I provided yes/no boxes for each question?
√

4.     Have I ticked the yes box in every list?
√

5.     Have I inserted the question mark at the end of each interrogative statement?
√

6.     Have I begun each question either with ‘do’ verb or with ‘have’ verb or with ‘be’ verb?
√

7.     Have I numbered my checklist items?
√

8.     Have I checked whether all the points are brought out in the checklist?
√

         
EXAMPLE 1
Write down a checklist containing at least eight items to avert fire accidents in public functions conducted in   temporary structures.
Checklist for the safety of temporary structure.


YES
NO
01
Have I kept fire extinguishers ready?
√

02
Have I instructed the inmates not to burn anything inside the structure?
√

03
Have I checked the stability of the structure?
√

04
Have I checked the electrical connections?
√

05
Have I displayed ‘No smoking’ boards inside the structure?
√

06
Have I arranged for fire-engines to stand nearby?
√

07
Have I stored enough water to put out fire in the time of emergency?
√

08
Hav e I checked all other safety arrangements?
√


Example 2:
Imagine that you have to attend an interview in a core/ software company in Delhi. Make eight- item checklist with a proper title.
Check list for attending an interview


YES
NO
01
Have I booked the ticket?
√

02
Have I taken all the certificates and testimonials?
√

03
Do I have the call letter with me?
√

04
Are all my certificates properly arranged for an easy reference?
√

05
Do I have a set of formal dress neatly packed?
√

06
Have I taken my project report with me?
√

07
Do I have enough money?
√

08
Have I taken my mobile and other items that are required for my travel?
√


Example 3
You are going to travel long distance by car. Help yourself with a checklist so that your journey is trouble free and comfortable.
Checklist for a long-distance travel in a car


YES
NO
01
Is there water in the radiator?
√

02
Is there enough petrol/diesel incar? the
√

03
Are the brakes in good condition?
√

04
Are the tyres properly inflated?
√

05
Do the wipers function properly?
√

06
Is the battery in good condition?
√

07
Do the headlights and other lights function properly?
√

08
Have I inflated the reserve- tyre?
√


Example 4:
Imagine that you are the student- secretary of English-club association. You have to organize the inaugural function of the association, Prepare a checklist of 8 items for the successful conduct of the function.
Checklist for conducting the inaugural function of the English club association.


YES
NO
01
Have I decorated the auditorium?
√

02
Are the banners and posters displayed properly?
√

03
Have I assigned students to receive the chief guest?
√

04
Have I made the seating arrangement on the dais?
√

05
Have I checked the functioning of the  PA system?
√

06
Have I prepared the order of events?
√

07
Are the student- volunteers informed of their duties?
√

08
Have I kept water bottles on the stage?
√



ASSIGNMENT
1. Prepare an eight item checklist for organizing a conference.
2. Write a checklist of at least eight- items to conduct the Anna university examination in your college.
3. Prepare a checklist for conducting sports day in your college.
4. Prepare an eight-item checklist to organize the Independence day celebrations in your college.


6 comments: