Monday 17 February 2020

check list


PARK COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
HS8251 TECHNICAL ENGLISH
CHECKLIST
What is a checklist?
A checklist is a list of items that people use to make sure that everything is in order before any activity is taken up.
A checklist is a list of things that one must remember to do. It adds one’s memory and ensures that what you need to do is done without omission.
The purpose of a checklist is to ensure that everything is properly done before any important activity.
How to write a checklist?
In writing a checklist, interrogative form is used. After each question, boxes for yes or no are placed.
Begin the questions with the auxiliaries such as is, are, do, does, and has/have
Put a tick mark in the ‘yes’ box when the item in question is made complete
 
CHECKLIST FOR WRITING A CHECKLIST                        YES   NO
1.     Have I given a suitable title for the checklist   ?                          

2.     Have I used the interrogative form for writing the checklist?    

3.     Have I provided yes/no boxes for each question?

4.     Have I ticked the yes box in every list?

5.     Have I inserted the question mark at the end of each interrogative statement?

6.     Have I begun each question either with ‘do’ verb or with ‘have’ verb or with ‘be’ verb?

7.     Have I numbered my checklist items?

8.     Have I checked whether all the points are brought out in the checklist?

         
EXAMPLE 1
Write down a checklist containing at least eight items to avert fire accidents in public functions conducted in   temporary structures.
Checklist for the safety of temporary structure.


YES
NO
01
Have I kept fire extinguishers ready?

02
Have I instructed the inmates not to burn anything inside the structure?

03
Have I checked the stability of the structure?

04
Have I checked the electrical connections?

05
Have I displayed ‘No smoking’ boards inside the structure?

06
Have I arranged for fire-engines to stand nearby?

07
Have I stored enough water to put out fire in the time of emergency?

08
Hav e I checked all other safety arrangements?


Example 2:
Imagine that you have to attend an interview in a core/ software company in Delhi. Make eight- item checklist with a proper title.
Check list for attending an interview


YES
NO
01
Have I booked the ticket?

02
Have I taken all the certificates and testimonials?

03
Do I have the call letter with me?

04
Are all my certificates properly arranged for an easy reference?

05
Do I have a set of formal dress neatly packed?

06
Have I taken my project report with me?

07
Do I have enough money?

08
Have I taken my mobile and other items that are required for my travel?


Example 3
You are going to travel long distance by car. Help yourself with a checklist so that your journey is trouble free and comfortable.
Checklist for a long-distance travel in a car


YES
NO
01
Is there water in the radiator?

02
Is there enough petrol/diesel incar? the

03
Are the brakes in good condition?

04
Are the tyres properly inflated?

05
Do the wipers function properly?

06
Is the battery in good condition?

07
Do the headlights and other lights function properly?

08
Have I inflated the reserve- tyre?


Example 4:
Imagine that you are the student- secretary of English-club association. You have to organize the inaugural function of the association, Prepare a checklist of 8 items for the successful conduct of the function.
Checklist for conducting the inaugural function of the English club association.


YES
NO
01
Have I decorated the auditorium?

02
Are the banners and posters displayed properly?

03
Have I assigned students to receive the chief guest?

04
Have I made the seating arrangement on the dais?

05
Have I checked the functioning of the  PA system?

06
Have I prepared the order of events?

07
Are the student- volunteers informed of their duties?

08
Have I kept water bottles on the stage?



ASSIGNMENT
1. Prepare an eight item checklist for organizing a conference.
2. Write a checklist of at least eight- items to conduct the Anna university examination in your college.
3. Prepare a checklist for conducting sports day in your college.
4. Prepare an eight-item checklist to organize the Independence day celebrations in your college.


No comments:

Post a Comment